Subject: Re: [PATCH] Break 'budget' dependency on netdev_max_backlog.

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:37:02 -0700

jamal wrote:

> I think you misunderstood. Look at the dev->weight.

Yep, I was definately confused.  I don't see how changing the
value as I did could affect anything in a good way, but I definately
saw changes in dropped packets...maybe it was too late at night :)

So, after further looking at the code, it appears that the dev->weight
is basically hard-coded in the tulip driver, and the weight_p value
in dev.c (and settable though sysctl) is not used anywhere except
netdev_init (ie, not soon enough to actually set via sysctl).

Think we should add an IOCTL to change the weight of a device
dynamically?  (I want my e1000 and tg3 to have higher weight than
the tulip nics, I imagine)

Is there a ready-built proc interface to do things to individual devices?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear