Subject: Re: Patch resubmission: RFC2863 operstatus for 2.5.49

From: Stefan Rompf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:36:35 +0100

Hi,

> This locking below achieves nothing.

Ok, so I was too cautious by locking read access to a one byte
structure. I'll change that and read additional documentation on SMP ;-)

> Probably something else in
> the device struct can be reused.

Right now, I don't see which. There are other spinlocks available in the
net_device structure, but they are used by the queuing code and we
should not give up the semantic that netif_set_operstate() can be called
from everywhere. One global spinlock may be acceptable for this special
case.

> I also don't think this should be conditional, either we want
> it or we don't.

The conditional stuff is inspired from my first 2.4 version, but I'm
happy to remove it.

Btw, can you also have a look the 2.4 backport of my link state
notification feature (posting available under
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=103722967214290&w=2, just
one typo fixed in Configure.help since then). Is this stuff acceptable
for 2.4?

Cheers, Stefan