Subject: Send-Q not being emptied

From: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 07:51:14 -0800

I'm seeing some strange behavior running Specweb99 with 
2.4.19-64GB-SMP on the clients, and 2.5.50 on the server.  I'm using 
Apache/2.0.43.  The load is fairly low, ~1000 (this is an 8-way P4).

The client program is sitting blocked on a socket read().  It's 
netstat entry looks like this (I clipped off the PID/Program part):
Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address       Foreign Address      State
      0      0 192.168.1.100:35486 192.168.1.1:80       ESTABLISHED
The server side's netstat (httpd):
      0 120184 192.168.1.1:80      192.168.1.100:35486  ESTABLISHED

It will stay like this for several minutes at a time, until the 
Specweb99 client program usually times out complaining with something 
like this:
Sat Jan  4 10:05:28 2003 HTTPGetReply: got 272144, expected 614400

But, this doesn't always happen to the client, and sometimes it will 
stay blocking on that socket read() forever.  This keeps me from 
getting any completed benchmark runs because there are always 1 or two 
of these stragglers.

Why isn't the client's read ever completing, even if the server has 
data in its send queue?  I'm sure that the cable is plugged in :)
-- 
Dave Hansen
[email-masked]