Subject: NAPI interrupt data

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:16:44 -0500

I looked at my latest tg3 driver's activity in /proc/interrupts and was 
a bit surprised.  Using "ttcp" to send 500,000 bursts from a 
uniprocessor P3 ("hum") to a dual athlon ("crumb"), I recorded the 
interrupts using the simple

	while true
	do
		cat /proc/interrupts >> data
		sleep 1
	done

method.  On hum, eth0 shared interrupts with acpi.  On crumb, eth0 
shared interrupts with the potentially-skewing aic7xxx.  The results of 
tg3[NAPI] one ttcp process on unloaded boxes are the following, in 
"approximate packets per second":

bash-2.05b$ ./x.pl data.crumb
135 samples, 21578 avg
bash-2.05b$ ./x.pl data.hum
130 samples, 11213 avg

The raw sample data and compute-the-average perl script were so small 
that I simply attached them to this email.  Feel free to check my math 
for something dumb.

	Jeff