Subject: Re: [Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] Layer-7 Filter for Linux QoS]

From: Ethan Sommer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:46:50 -0500

Philippe Biondi wrote:

>regexp support was planned but not done yet. (if someone know where I can
>download more free time !).
>
>The implementation should not be that hard, once you have the compiler to
>transform the string describing the regexp to an automaton.
>
>Note that to respect the framework, you have to deal with multiple
>patterns (should not be that hard). If you have pat1 and pat2, searching
>for (pat1|pat2) is not sufficient because for each match, you have to
>point which pattern matched.
>  
>

We actually planned on doing that initially. You should note that if you 
want to generate one automaton for multiple patterns, that is not a 
regular language (and thus can not be represented by a FA or DFA.)  You 
will have to try matching against the first pattern, then the next and 
so on.

Ethan