Subject: Re: [email-masked]: RFC 3549 on Linux Netlink as an IP Services Protocol

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:00:54 -0700

Please make the 'table-id' field to be at least
16 bits.  Now that we have VLANs and other types of virtual
interfaces, it would be nice to be able to have a routing table
for each interface, for example.  640k was not enough for everyone,
and ~250 routing tables isn't either :)

 From section 3.1.1:

    Table ID: 8 bits
    Table identifier.  Up to 255 route tables are supported.
                  RT_TABLE_UNSPEC    An unspecified routing table.
                  RT_TABLE_DEFAULT   The default table.
                  RT_TABLE_MAIN      The main table.
                  RT_TABLE_LOCAL     The local table.

                  The user may assign arbitrary values between
                  RT_TABLE_UNSPEC(0) and RT_TABLE_DEFAULT(253).

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear