Subject: Re: network interface cards native vlans support in linux kernel?

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:25:57 -0700

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:11:57AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> 
>>eepro100 does not seem to be updated in the kernel anymore, though if you 
>>go figure
>>out how to install Becker's drivers, he may have it working with vlans
>>by now.
> 
> 
> I won't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain he does.  Most of his
> drivers got a "slightly larger than normal MTU" pass-over a while ago.
> 
> I objected to the eepro100 patch, because all it did was change one
> magic number to another, in the configuration data.  I had absolutely no
> basis for evaluation other than "I hope it works", so it was rejected.
> 
> If someone wants to look at his eepro100 and merge in new changes (vlan
> or otherwise), that'd be great.  His tulip MTU (aka vlan) changes also
> want pulling into mainline kernel, since his changes are _much_ better
> than the tulip vlan patch floating around.

It is beyond me to do this merge at this time, but if someone else can
do it that would be great.  I can also do some testing of the tulip
merge, at least..as I have loads of 4-port nics lying around.

Ben

> 	Jeff

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear