Subject: Re: netdev_ops?

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:36:25 -0700

David S. Miller wrote:

> You gain nothing from this patch, just put it into your drivers.

I am not writing drivers, I'm trying to write code that works with
everything that looks remotely like an ethernet device.  Thus,
I can make this one change and work with ALL drivers, and not have
to corrupt every friggin driver under the sun.

And yes, I realize this patch is not adding a new ioctl..that is the
whole point.

> 
> Your patch is even more useless than I thought it was going to
> be. :-)

I really hope you mis-understood it :)

Note it allows me to get a binary representation of the net_device_stats
w/out having to parse /proc/net/dev or figure out the vast complexity
of libnetlink.

I have plenty of other things that are currently new ioctls that could
be handled the same, and thus I could continue to avoid issues with
other platforms.

Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>
President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear