Subject: Re: [PATCH][2.6] de4x5 cleanup

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:16:21 -0400

Marc Zyngier wrote:
>>>>>>"Jeff" == Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
> Jeff> It looks pretty good.  My big objection isn't the Space.c stuff
> Jeff> but de4x5 itself.  I had hoped it would be gone by now :) Oh
> Jeff> well, not your fault.
> 
> Well... I too, had hoped the tulip (and its dc21040 derivative)
> driver would be the only one. While it works nicely on modern stuff
> (2114[023]), it has some problems on a few of my test boxes (mostly
> Alphas with onboard 21040).

Well, 2.6 tulip intentionally doesn't work at all on 21040 and 21041 :) 
  That's what de2104x driver is for.  Can you give that a beating, and 
verify that it works for you?

I know that 2114x chips with sym phys still have some issues; jamal has 
created a patch that fixes that (mostly updates tulip with the latest 
Becker phy code from Donald's tulip.c), which in turn fixes some 2114x 
issues on alpha.

> And most of all, tulip doesn't support EISA :-).

If it meant I could kill de4x5, then I would be all for adding EISA 
support to tulip... :)

	Jeff