Subject: Re: [PATCH] Handle shared SKBs in VLAN receive code

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:55:23 -0700

David S. Miller wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:03:52 -0700
> Ben Greear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>Maybe we should have a method called:  skb_get_me_an_skb_that_I_can_modify(skb);
>>
>>Then the subtle differences between sharing, cloning, etc can be handled
>>by the skb code internally...
> 
> 
> We can't create this routine, because it depends upon context.

I have read the sk_buf.h file repeatedly trying to get this all straight
in my head, and I think I'm still missing things.  Is there any other
documentation around that describes in detail exactly the things you must
do to handle shared skbs in all contexts?

I have a question on linearize as well.  Assuming I want to read the IP address
in a packet.  Do I have to linearize before I start looking at offsets in the
skb?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com