Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/9] DSA changes for multiple CPU ports (part 4)

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 11:33:31 -0700

On 9/2/2022 3:31 AM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:59:23PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>> This series represents the final part of that effort. We have:
>>
>> - the introduction of new UAPI in the form of IFLA_DSA_MASTER
> 
> Call for opinions: when I resend this, should I keep rtnl_link_ops,
> or should I do what Marek attempted to do, and make the existing iflink
> between a user port and its master writable from user space?
> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/
> 
> I'm not sure if we have that many more use cases for rtnl_link_ops..

It's a bit hard to see one right now, I agree.

> at some point I was thinking we could change the way in which dsa_loop
> probes, and allow dynamic creation of such interfaces using RTM_NEWLINK;
> but looking closer at that, it's a bit more complicated, since we'd need
> to attach dsa_loop user ports to a virtual switch, and probe all ports
> at the same time rather than one by one.

Yes, not sure the custom netlink operations would be the preferred way 
of doing that configuration, maybe module parameters and/or debugfs 
might just do?
-- 
Florian