Subject: Re: [2.4] e1000 leaking pci mappings on rx errors?

From: Olof Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:01:33 -0600

Olof Johansson wrote:
> Feldman, Scott wrote:
> 
>> Ok, most of the changes to the driver are on the Tx side.  Add this to
>> 5.2.20 and let's see if we're hitting this path.  Maybe there is still
>> something wrong with the Tx unwind case where we run out of resources:
> 
> 
> It looks like I temporarily lost the machine, but I could give it one 
> run before it happened. It was bursting huge number of those messages, 
> but I had no chance to correlate them to the number of mappings that 
> were leaked, since the machine pretty much locked up (serial console + 
> too much kernel printks = very very slow machine).

I got it back quicker than I thought. :)

It seems that after about 150k 'queue stopped' events we hit the case 
where it's leaked up to 1k pci mappings. The queue stopped messages 
start arriving as soon as the network load goes up. That's about the 
same point that the first rx errors show up too, in small numbers (<50 
total).

-Olof

-- 
Olof Johansson                                        Office: 4F005/905
pSeries Linux Development                             IBM Systems Group
Email: [email-masked]                          Phone: 512-838-9858
All opinions are my own and not those of IBM