Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6.1] Net device error logging

From: Jim Keniston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:06:21 -0800

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
> 
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:25:34PM -0800, Jim Keniston wrote:
> > The enclosed patch implements the netdev_* error-logging macros for
> > network drivers.  These macros have been discussed at length on the
> > linux-kernel and linux-netdev lists.  All issues that reviewers have
> > raised were addressed previously.  This is just an update for v2.6.1.
> 
> How about a message rate limit?
> 
> --
> Regards,
> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen

Thanks.  We considered adding a ratelimit flag to the netdev_printk arg
list.  It was pointed out that
(1) rate-limiting is necessary for a relatively small subset of messages;
and
(2) the NETIF_MSG_* flags are already designed to be used in order of
increasing verbosity.  If the user selects the more verbose class of
messages, then rate-limiting may not be appropriate.

I concluded that ratelimit() should continue to be used on a case-by-case
basis, and not folded into netdev_printk.

Jim Keniston