Subject: Re: Submission for S2io 10GbE driver

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:12:40 -0500

Leonid Grossman wrote:
> 1. At the moment, lspci output looks like
> "02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 17d5:5831 (rev 02)"; do we
> need to submit a patch for drivers/pci/pci.ids?

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

The file drivers/pci/pci.ids is only associated with /proc/pci strings, 
and I'm trying to deprecate it :)

> 2. The card fully supports Ethernet and TCP header separation in
> hardware (so called receive 3-buffer mode).
> The mode may have some performance advantages but so far we did not
> implement the mode in Linux since it seems that Linux stack can't handle
> the fragmented buffers in the receive path. Is this a correct
> assumption, does receive buffer has to be continuous?

In theory, the skb can be fragmented.  I'm not as much as an expert in 
the ipv4/tcp/socket levels of the net stack, but I don't recall any 
place that yet supports skb frags on receive?

I think that's likely an area that would need some minor 
adjustments/additions in the upstream kernels, but not major surgery, 
since the skb already supports creating, noticing, and freeing frags.

	Jeff