Subject: Re: [Prism54-devel] Re: Prism54 in 2.6.4-bk2

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:01:16 -0500

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:14:35AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 
>>Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>>Regarding WDS on prism54: on the netdev list we discussed this
>>>but no one got back to me as to whether we should really just nuke this
>>>code. Prism54 driver source *does* include WDS support because hey, the
>>>firmware does. Why wouldn't it go in the driver? We haven't given WDS
>>>much though anyway since it's also been low priority on our TODO list.
>>
>>The WDS code was dead code as merged.
>>
>>If you actually use it, I don't mind adding it :)
> 
> 
> I don't know of anybody who uses it. We did consider to drop it but we
> just never got around to deciding what we were going to do about it. I
> know it's there and it's *supposed* to work. 
> 
> Can we get back to you on that?  :)  It is just code that *is*
> driver/hardware specific.

For code is that (a) experimental, (b) for pre-production hardware, or 
(c) rarely if ever used, we would prefer to not merge it at all.

When I see stuff like "TODO: actually give this some thought" and "I 
don't know anybody who uses it", that means it doesn't need to be merged 
in the upstream tree :)

> Actually can I just send you a patch for 2.6 for the latest 2.6 tree to
> match ours? That is, rm -rf prism54/ as is and add our latest patch ?
> It'd save a lot of work on our end.

It depends on how big the patch is, and whether or not it adds code that 
nobody but the dev team uses, etc...  I don't want to add the WDS code, 
since nobody uses it...  and adding the #ifdefs I removed would not be 
desired either.  Those #ifdefs aren't need in the upstream tree.  I plan 
to remove them from other upstream drivers, too.

WRT submitting patches...   send away.  drivers/net patches should go -> 
Jean T -> jgarzik+netdev or simply -> jgarzik+netdev, your choice.  In 
general "50 small patches are better than 1 big patch".  Large updates 
are not reviewable or easily testable.  Large patches tend to fix 20 
bugs, and add 5 new ones.

	Jeff