Subject: Re: Forcedeth and vesa

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:25:02 +0200

Hi,

[foner: I included you in the CC because your problem seems similar.]

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if you get this post by mistake. I found your address googling
> for "forcedeth vesa".

Well, you reached the right person.

> When i use forcedeth module, both with 2.4.26 and 2.6.6 kernels, i
> can't access vesa with mplayer. Just loading the module doesn't
> cause the problem, only after i configure the net with ifconfig i
> can't use vesa.

This is interesting. Does the problem persist if you ifdown the interface?

> If i use nvnet NVidia driver with 2.4.26, everything goes fine (no
> nvnet for 2.6.x kernels). 

That is even more interesting. So the bug affects forcedeth, but not
nvnet. Hmmm. We'll have to review the code again.

> It's an EPOX 8RDA+ motherboard.

Foner: Do you see similarities between your problem and this one?

Janusz, Foner: Are you willing to test forcedeth with a few dozen
iterations of
patch, recompile, install, power down, power up and test again?

I would send you patches to binary search the offending code.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel