Subject: Re: 2.6.7-rc3: waiting for eth0 to become free

From: Christian Kujau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:48:46 +0200

Felipe Alfaro Solana <[email-masked]> wrote:
|>What is happening is that some subsystem is holding a reference to the
device (calling dev_hold())
|>but not cleaning up (calling dev_put).  It can be a hard to track
which of the many
|>things routing, etc are not being cleared properly.  Look for routes
that still
|>get stuck (ip route) and neighbor cache entries.  Most of these end up
being
|>protocol bugs.
|
|
| The two attached patches, one for net/ipv4/route.c, the other for net/
| ipv6/route.c fix all my problems when running "cardctl eject" while a
| program mantains an open network socket (ESTABLISHED).
|
| Both patches apply cleanly against 2.6.7-rc3 and 2.6.7-rc3-mm1.
| I'm not completely sure what has changed in 2.6.7-rc3 that is breaking
| cardctl for me, as it Just Worked(TM) fine in 2.6.7-rc2.

do you know, by any chance, if this error is dependent to eth0 only or
could help for my error message too:

unregister_netdevice: waiting for ppp0 to become free. Usage count = 1

happened just a few hours ago (2.6.7-rc3), i had to reboot the box
anyway, but pppd was not able to die (even with kill -9)

Christian.
- --
BOFH excuse #258:

That's easy to fix, but I can't be bothered.