Subject: Re: 2.6.6 e1000 NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out+ delay scheduler

From: David Greaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:29:19 +0100

Thayne Harbaugh wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 03:08, David Greaves wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Jens Laas wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>We have tried different versions of e1000 without luck.
>>>      
>>>
>>Me too, 3 cards.
>>(did I mention I have 2 machines with very similar specs (AMD/VIAKT600) 
>>and the other one works - actually, to be accurate, hasn't yet failed 
>>but hasn't yet run at full speed - and it has a higher CPU speed)
>>    
>>
>
>What do you mean by, ". . . hasn't yet run at full speed - and it has a
>higher CPU speed . . ." ?  Does this mean that you can't get the card to
>have a reasonable throughput (~900Mbps)?
>
>  
>

It sounded reasonable when I wrote it :)

I have 2 machines I can easily test with (wired back to back)
Machine 1 has an AMD3000+ CPU, machine 2 has an AMD3200+ cpu (maybe not 
relevant - maybe important if it's timing related?)

Machine one  stalls within a few kb.
Machine two has shown no signs of failure yet.

However the other machine has not been stressed at all so it has 'not 
yet run at full speed' - not surprising since it has no friends with 
working gigabit cards :)

David
PS
I tried some experiments this weekend with a third machine but I got 
nasty kernel oopses on the second (supposedly good) whenever I did 
ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000 and I've not had time to get any proper results 
or a minimal failure yet.

simply issuing
ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000
on the second machine gave me this:

Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel: printk: 1 messages suppressed.
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel: ifconfig: page allocation failure. order:3, 
mode:0x20
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [__alloc_pages+728/848] 
__alloc_pages+0x2d8/0x350
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [__get_free_pages+37/64] 
__get_free_pages+0x25/0x40
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [kmem_getpages+32/176] kmem_getpages+0x20/0xb0
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [cache_grow+166/512] cache_grow+0xa6/0x200
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [cache_alloc_refill+342/544] 
cache_alloc_refill+0x156/0x220
Jun 18 16:33:08 haze kernel:  [__kmalloc+116/128] __kmalloc+0x74/0x80
...

I'll report more fully when I can produce something consistent.