Subject: Re: generic 802.11 stack

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:11:16 -0400

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:35:00PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> 
>>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:14:56 +0300
>>Vladimir Kondratiev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Fine. Let it be this way. It may take for me some time till I can sumbit 
>>>something, I want that it will kind of work with minimum functionality.
>>
>>Ok, good luck Vladimir :-)
> 
> 
> Vladimir,
> 
> How about dual-licensing this work as GPL/BSD? I believe the BSD teams might
> benefit from this work.

While I don't mind dual-licensing per se, I really dislike the 
associated _technical_ crap that comes along with it, namely

* cross-OS compatibility wrappers
* attempts to pretend that locking is _remotely_ similar between BSD and 
Linux net stacks
* use of non-Linux coding styles and memes
* over-engineering and over-abstraction

Linus Credo #788 is "do what you must, and no more."

If Vladimir is working from DaveM's code template, then he is working at 
the lowest, most native _Linux kernel_ levels to interface with the net 
stack.

I'm all for code sharing -- but I'm all for rationality too.  There will 
_inevitably_ be _fundamental_ differences between BSD and Linux net 
stacks, and to attempt to code for both OS's will be nasty and time 
consuming, IMHO.

	Jeff