Subject: Re: [PATCH] Improve behaviour of Netlink Sockets

From: Pablo Neira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:48:05 +0200

Hi Herbert,

We are thinking in two different things:

a) You think about netlink sockets as a method to pass information to 
kernel space via command line, in that case dump is ok.

b) I'm thinking about netlink sockets as a method to generate event 
notifications. My benchmark tool just want to emulate that N events 
happen in a *very* short period of time (worst case), that implies 
sending N messages. So, forget that my tool sends previously a message 
to generate those N messages.

But I'm intrigued about something

jamal wrote:

>For a test i typically have something adding say 10K items (actions in
>my case, but could be ipsec policies) and then try to dump them. On my
>xeon i get an overrun after about 6K items are dumped.
>

Jamal, you're getting an overrun dumping ipsec policies. If I'm not 
wrong, that tool is doing that as dump operation, but that this 
shouldn't happen by using dump. Am I missing something?

I would like to have a way to send notifications via netlink sockets 
without losing congestion control ability, that is, without losing 
messages because of an overrun.

regards,
Pablo