Subject: Re: [PATCH] Improve behaviour of Netlink Sockets

From: Pablo Neira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:19:12 +0200

Hi Herbert,

Herbert Xu wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 08:08:40AM -0400, jamal wrote:
>  
>
>>Since netlink is being used for a lot of things now, it may be time to
>>obsolete those assumptions. 
>>    
>>
>
>I'm not against changes.  But so far I haven't seen anything concrete
>about what these new things are yet :)
>  
>

Nothing mysterious :), people are willing to put more and more things in 
kernel space, so I wanted to evaluate netlink sockets as a method to 
pass information from kernel to user space and vice-versa.

I think that, instead of putting all the things in kernel space, a 
kernel component can provide an API to user space programs to interact 
with them, so I wanted to evaluate them to figure out what they could do 
and what they could't do at this moment. I can also focus this to 
component replication.

regards,
Pablo