Subject: NFS and Network Driver Question

From: Bob Wirka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:31:04 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to build a kernel that mounts a NFS root file system. This is 
an embedded system; it uses an SMSC LAN91C111 network chip that is 
hardwired to I/O addres 0x300 and IRQ 5. I've been using the driver (as 
supplied by SMSC) as a module, and it works fine. Now I'm trying to 
incorporate it into the kernel build so that I can mount an NFS file 
system when the system boots.

I've added the source code to the kernel tree, and modified the 
Makefile(s) and Config.in files so that the driver <<appears>> to be 
compiled into the kernel. The kernel will load, but the chip is not 
initialized and the NFS fails.

Since I don't know how to pass the io address and irq number to the 
kernel, I've hard-coded them into the driver's init function (which I 
don't see being called).

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

Bob Wirka
Realtime Control Works