Subject: Re: [PATCH] 802.1Q VLAN

From: Tommy Christensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:31:02 +0200

Ben Greear wrote:
> Can't you also add a queue to a VLAN device?

Sure you can. This is the best solution, if you have a way of
waking up the queue.

>> Nice. This idea is definitely worth persuing. However, ideally we
>> would want to be notified when the *qdisc* queue opens up - this
>> is our "tx ring buffer".
> 
> 
> Maybe the qdisc could automatically flush what it could to lower
> level devices/queues whenever it was asked to enqueue a packet?
> This way, waking the writers could automatically wake the various
> queues under the writers.
> 
> That could be happening already, and might explain why my pktgen hacks
> work.

Yes, this is what qdisc does. It just isn't good enough to have to
wait for the next packet, IMO.

-Tommy