Subject: Re: e1000 driver problem with Intel Pro/1000 MT adapter

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:37:19 -0800

Scott Feldman wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 15:25, Jos Vos wrote:
> 
>>I have a problem with an Intel Pro/1000 MT 4-port card in a Supermicro
>>(non-HT) Pentium 4 system using RHEL3 (2.4.21 kernel "the RH way") with
>>the e1000 driver (I tried both the version supplied by RH and the
>>newest 5.5.4 driver):
> 
> 
> The 4-port card has two 82546 dual-port controllers behind a PCI-X
> bridge.  Your symptoms suggest interrupt routing didn't get setup
> correctly for the controllers behind the bridge.  I've seen more than
> one case where the BIOS gets this wrong.  The fix is to upgrade to the
> latest BIOS.  Hopefully this is the fix for you.  :-)

For what it's worth, I've had good luck with a 4-port pro/1000 NIC
in a SuperMicro X5-DPAGG (dual xeon, PCI-X) motherboard.  I've tried it with kernel
2.4.27 and 2.6.9 so far...  For maximum performance, I needed to increase
the tx and rx descriptors to 2k, I believe this helps mitigate the extra
latency caused by the PCI-X bridge on the NIC...

Ben

> -scott

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com