Subject: Re: Bug-hunting

From: Christian Schmid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:17:55 +0100

No. This is a new thing and this wasnt there before. In 2.6.10-rc2 the kernel aborted programs with 
"Out of memory" when too many buffers are allocated and low memory was full. NOW it just shrinks the 
buffers dynamically. I don't want that. I have a 2/2 system and I want 1600 MB for buffers but you 
only allow around 700 MB for buffers. This is definetly NEW.

David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:07:35 +0100
> Christian Schmid <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>I am still trying to hunt down the bug with the slowdown-on-many-sockets. Is there any way I can see 
>>how much tcp-memory is used right now? Why did you change the behaviour? In 2.6.10-rc2 I was able to 
>>see the amount by looking in slabinfo but now the buffers are gone. And where did you introduce the 
>>buffer-limit? It seems its now globally limited to xxx MB. I want to disable this in order to check 
>>if thats the reason.
> 
> 
> The global TCP memory limit, controllable by sysctl()'s, has been there for
> at least 3 years.
> 
>