Subject: Re: [PATCH]: r8169: Message level support

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:20:43 -0500

Francois Romieu wrote:
> Jeff, can you send a ack/nack if you disagree with the remarks below ?
> 
> Richard Dawe <[email-masked]> :
> [...]
> 
>>There seems to be a mixture of drivers using a bitfield and a level. 
>>Which is the currently preferred mechanism?
> 
> 
> They do not offer exactly the same range. I prefer to keep both as the
> module option is not that expensive.

* The preferred mechanism is to have an integer verbosity level 'debug', 
which is converted using netif_msg_init() into a bitmap.

* PFX should only be used in probe paths.  In all other cases, dev->name 
should be used.

* I strongly agree with the comment "Imho the driver should not poke its 
nose into the guts of netif_msg_xxx()"

	Jeff