Subject: Re: [PATCH] tulip: de2104x, fix init. sections

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:37:25 -0500

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 02:30:17AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 
>>When someone proves this is possible, I will accept the code change.  I 
>>doubt this will ever happen, for two reasons:
>>
>>1) Hotplug PCI slots are highly likely to choke on the 2104x's very 
>>early and slightly weird PCI hardware implementation.
>>
>>2) It's an ancient card and nobody will ever bother trying to hotplug it.
> 
> 
> No, it's a matter of correctness.  The pci core can call ->probe all the
> time and every driver must be prepared.  Even if no one tries it physically
> it's easily done with Greg's fake hotplug driver.

The change can be made when it's actually useful to someone.  Making 
janitors and Christoph happy is not a good enough reason in my book.

	Jeff