Subject: Re: [RFC] netif_rx: receive path optimization

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:42:11 -0800

>>Well, I'm in an email discussion with someone who seems to bump their TCP 
>>windows quite large, and disable timestamps...
> 
> 
> And do they like the resulting data corruption.

Minor nit - potential data corruption, perhaps even probable, but I don't think 
they are all that concerned yet - feeling secure in their belief that 2*MSL on a 
LAN is rather short indeed, and perhaps even in WANs where using 1GB TCP windows 
(although I may have mixed too much together there).

Of course, if we believe that stacks should be smart enough to limit the initial 
receive windows (or does a setsockopt() actrually override that?), and grow them 
over time based on what the transfer rates might be and the like, perhaps the 
stack should have a hard interlock on TCP window >= 65535 and timestamp option 
on.  No timestamps, no window > 65535 bytes. At present, it seems possible to 
have one without the other.  Of course, if one is indeed on a "LAN" and _knows_ 
(somehow, given the existence of remote bridges) that it is a LAN.

rick jones