Subject: Re: ICS1883 LAN PHY not detected

From: David Liontooth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 21:27:32 -0800

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> David Liontooth wrote:
>
>> 0000:02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon 
>> Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)
>
> You want the sk98lin or skge drivers.

Correct -- that one worked already in Debian-Installer. What was 
confusing is that the Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 board has a second 
gigabyte NIC, identified in the motherboard manual as a 100/10 ICS1883 
LAN PHY, that is in fact an nforce gigabyte controller, part of the 
nforce3 250 chipset (cf. 
http://cogweb.net/owens/Images/Gigabyte-K8NS-Ultra-939.jpg line 5). For 
some reason the PCI ID 00E6 doesn't show up in lspci, so I thought it 
was not detected by the kernel. However, the forcedeth driver brought it 
to life.

Dave