Subject: Re: icmp_unreachable uses wrong ip

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 20:15:02 +0200

Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Patrick McHardy wrote:
>>
>>Your patch can't guarantee that the address used is the same that was
>>used as nexthop by the previous hop in the path when multiple addresses
>>are configured on the incoming interface. So I don't think it achieves
>>much of your goal of making debugging complicated topologies easier.
> 
> At first I don't care what was used as nexthop. I want to know which 
> physical link was used. Having multiple addresses in the same link is more 
> corner case in core network anyway.

But when multiple addresses are used the result can be even more
confusing. I don't like inconsistent behaviour, and this patch works
sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

> And can you explain what theoretical possibilities router has to obtain info 
> what address was used as nexthop by neighbour?

I can think of none.

Regards
Patrick