Subject: Re: RFC: NAPI packet weighting patch

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:19:46 -0700

> 
>  BTW, Can netperf be used for tests like this? (Rick?)

Assuming I'm translating "test like this" to the right sort of stuff :)

If one wants to see the effect of different buffer replenishment strategies, I 
suppose that some netperf tests could indeed be used.  It would be desirable to 
look at service demand moreso than throughput (assuming the throughput is 
link-bound).  TCP_STREAM and/or TCP_MAERTS.  I'm not sure the extent to which it 
would be visible to a TCP_RR test.

Differences in service demand could also be used to measure effects of irq 
migration, pinning IRQs and/or processes to specific CPUs and the like.  The 
linux processor affinity stuff in netperf could use a little help though - it is 
easily confused as to when to use a two argument vs three argument 
sched_setaffinity call.  I suspect one may also see differences in TCP_RR 
transaction rates.

I suspect some high number of confidence interval iterations might be required.

rick jones

i'd trim individual names from the dist list, but am not 100% sure who is on 
netdev...