Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6.12.1 5/12] S2io: Performance improvements

From: Prarit Bhargava <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:48:30 -0400

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 04:13:57PM -0700, Ravinandan Arakali wrote:
>> Hi Christoph,
>> Following is SGI's stand on this issue:
>> 
>> SGI recommends that customers use the -sn2 kernel. This is the kernel 
>> that is installed by our factory when we ship systems. The -sn2 
>> kernel is also the kernel that must be run if the Altix has more that 
>> 128 CPUs. So I'd be surprised it the majority of the Altix systems in 
>> the field are not running the -sn2 kernel.
> 
> The my argument is wrong for SuSE ;-)  This still needs to be a runtime
> switch though, not just for this reason.  Platform ifdefs are not the
> way to go.

Hi Ravinandan,

Ditto for SGI Altix on Red Hat -- platform specific ifdefs are not the proper 
way to do this.

P.