Subject: Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:46:43 -0500

Michael Renzmann wrote:
> Hi.
> 
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 19:00 +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> 
>>Why yet another attempt to write 802.11 stack? Sure, the one currently
>>in the kernel is unusable and everybody knows about it. But why not to
>>improve code opensourced by Devicescape some time ago instead of
>>inventing the wheel again and again?
> 
> 
> Or, in case there is some unknown objection to the mentioned code: use
> the 802.11 stack that comes along with MadWifi, which provides things
> like virtual interfaces (for multiple SSID support on one physical card)
> and WPA support.
> 
> Although I'm a bit biased towards MadWifi, I'd second your suggestion to
> make use of the Devicescape code. The benefit of having a fully-blown
> 802.11 stack in the kernel that drivers can make use of has been
> discussed before, so I won't go into that yet again.

Use the stack that's already in the kernel.

Encouraging otherwise hinders continued wireless progress under Linux.

	Jeff