Subject: Re: [RFC] ip / ifconfig redesign

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:43:53 -0800

John Heffner wrote:
> Rick Jones wrote:
> 
>> That's the discussion related to things like the "Strong ES" (end 
>> system) model right?  As such, isn't that discussing what _IP_ may do 
>> rather than what ARP may do?  1122 doesn't say much about the 
>> interfaces/MAC's that should be part of a given ARP reply.  ARP seems 
>> to be RFC 826 and probably others, and the algorithm described in 826 
>> doesn't seem to be specific on the topic of interfaces - at least not 
>> to my really brief read.
>>
>> rick jones
> 
> 
> Yes, but if an interface will accept packets for a certain IP address, 
> and will send packets with that IP address, is there any reason it can't 
> ARP for that address?

If ARP RFC's say it shouldn't :) (I don't know that it does) ARP is ARP, 
accepting IPs is IP.  The maze of twisty passages may be similar, but they are 
distinct.

Is a MAC address a property of the host, or of the interface connected to the host?

rick jones
is on netdev, so no need for direct reply to my address...