Subject: Re: 2.6.17 regression: Very slow net transfer from some hosts

From: Daniel Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:20:42 +0100

John Heffner wrote:
> This is almost certainly due to a buggy firewall that doesn't understand 
> TCP window scaling.  I've usually seen this in the past with OpenBSD 
> firewalls.  Do you have one of these in your path?

At home I'm behind a Linux gateway box currently running 2.6.15-rc6 - I 
am connected through ethernet to that.

At my student house I am connected wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54Gv5 
router (the model that doesnt run Linux).

I have reproduced it at both those locations (same ISP).

This is very familiar, and I just found the article I was thinking of: 
http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/

I was also hit by that bug, on the same collection of websites, but that 
particular problem was fixed for 2.6.8 or so. So I guess it is extremely 
likely that my ISP has broken routers. nmap isn't able to identify the 
OS of any ISP routers in my path.

It's a huge ISP over here, so contacting them over technical matters is 
not easy...

Thanks,
Daniel