Subject: Re: [RFC] Geographical/regulatory information for ieee80211

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:55:32 -0700

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 07:59:21PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> 
>>I am planning on writing a new routine to be added to 
>>net/ieee80211/ieee80211_geo.c that will populate an ieee80211_geo object 
>>given a country code. The new routine will eliminate the need for each 
>>driver to do their own.
> 
> 
> This sounds like a generally good idea, but the question is:  do we want
> this inside a kernel module or in userspace, either like the regulartory
> daemon intel has (unfortunately in binary only form) or as a simple init
> script.  I really don't want to recompile my kernel just because regulations
> changed, and they seems to do that quite often.

Yet I would expect the regulatory bodies to look less favorably on 
something more easily maleable by the end-user.

rick jones