Subject: Re: SIOCGIWSCAN wireless event behaviour

From: Daniel Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:42:06 +0100

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> 	The original behaviour was that the event was sent only when a
> user did request a scan. At that time, cards did not do background
> scanning, so new scan results would be produced only as a result of a
> user scan.
> 	After a short discussion we Dan, we agree that to change that,
> the driver should send a scan whenever a new scan result is available,
> regardless of how it happens (background scan or user scan). This
> allow smart application to synchronise on background scans and avoid
> them generating useless user scans. Minimising the number of user scan
> is actually good.

Thanks for all the responses.

I am not sure if the 'extra' SIOCGIWSCAN event is what is causing 
wpa_supplicant's confusion, but the kind of behaviour I am seeing is 
wpa_supplicant associating to the network, immediately disassociating, 
and then associating again before the connection stabilises. This is 
with wpa_supplicant 0.5.2 connecting to an unencrypted network.

I am also seeing that softmac reassociates with a network after 
wpa_supplicant exits.

Johannes posted a softmac patch earlier which may help (related to 
softmac's handling of SIOCGIWAP). I will do some further investigation 
and provide a more complete report if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks,
Daniel