Subject: Re: [Fireflier-devel] Re: [PATCH][RFC] Security marking

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:19:04 +0200

Török Edwin wrote:
> Patrick what is the status of solving the skfilter issues? Can I help with 
> testing patches,  etc.?

Not yet. If nothing gets in between I plan to get the patches ready
next week.

> On Monday 20 February 2006 18:42, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> 
>>Confirmation of conntrack entries. They shouldn't be confirmed before
>>packets have passed the socket hooks. This is the tricky part because
>>we don't know if packets will be delivered to a raw socket or not
>>when calling the regular LOCAL_IN hook.
>>The only way to solve this 
>>seems to be to use the socket hooks for all incoming packets, that
>>way we can defer confirmation unconditionally.
> 
> Are there any problems with using socket hooks for all packets?

Not really, just that some protocols don't use sockets, so its a bit
pointless for them. OTOH it should make rule management easier if
everything can be done in the same table.

>>The nicest way would 
>>be to just move the regular LOCAL_IN hook to the socket hooks, but
>>this doesn't work with SNAT in LOCAL_IN because the socket lookup
>>needs the already NATed address.
> 
> Move just the non SNAT part of LOCAL_IN to socket hooks?(does this make 
> sense?)

That would be my prefered way, but it changes user-visible behaviour.
Currently filtering is done before SNAT, this change would reverse
that.