Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] new pcmcia IDs for hostap - ASUS WL-110

From: Jar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:43:53 +0300

Pavel Roskin wrote:
 >I strongly believe that every driver should list all devices it can
 >support.  In case of multiple drivers supporting one device, the choice
 >should be done in userspace.

Just from end user's standpoint:

I am totally bored with this "model". Every time new kernel comes I 
first delete all orinoco drivers, because I can't even blacklist them. I 
don't want to use them, I have a better driver -->hostap. When I try to 
do the following in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-custom :

# a) Do NOT load orinoco_pci/plx when we are using hostap driver
# b) Do NOT load eepro100, 8139cp

blacklist orinoco_pci
blacklist orinoco_plx

blacklist eepro100
blacklist 8139cp

The eepro100 and 8139cp get blacklisted just fine but not the 
orinoco_pci, it always want to load itself.

Because of this and the lack of WPA support in orinoco drivers the 
prism2 id:s should be removed from the orinoco drivers. To achieve 
security you have to run vpn over wireless when you use orinoco drivers.

How the orinoco driver can be as _good_ as the hostap driver for the 
prism2 cards? I think hostap is a lot better.

-- 
Best Regards, Jar