Subject: Re: reminder, 2.6.18 window...

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:25:18 -0700

> Can you provide some link to a vendor that allows resetting ethernet
> stats? I am almost certain, if they do they will have something or other
> which indicates that such a reset happened. It is also easier for cisco
> to have none standard feature "as of ios 15.16" which could support such
> behavior because they bundle everything including network management
> tools. We dont have that luxury. The BSDs may actually get away with it
> because they bundle user space apps as well. Perhaps some
> random Linux vendor as well..

The lanadmin (think ethtool) command of HP-UX has had a way to clear the 
statistics reported by lanadmin.  I do not know however, if that affects 
the stats in the actual SNMP interface MIBs as I've never had occasion 
to look.

I still suggest beforeafter to people because clearing the lanadmin 
stats requires root privs and because it may not be a kosher thing to do 
on a customer system.

HP-UX does not provide a way to clear the stats reported by netstat.

fwiw,

rick jones