Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] FLAME: external kernel module for L2.5 meshing

From: Simon Oosthoek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:53:28 +0200

jamal wrote:
> Essentially you are extending the broadcast domain i.e a bridge within
> on top of a bridge. I would question the scalability of such a beast
> in the presence of many nodes. Also take a look at some of the work
> Radia Perlman (who invented bridging really) is up to these days.
>
>   

Hi Jamal

I agree with your analysis, and recently I read an interesting interview 
with her (I think it was linked from slashdot, an interview with the 
"mother of the Internet ;-) I'm not sure her work (I don't exactly 
recall the specifics) is applicable to our problem though.

Regarding the scalability, I think it rather depends on the number of 
hops how usable FLAME is. I don't think it would scale well to a campus 
or city wide network, but in the case of a few mobile nodes, it has very 
little overhead both in bandwidth and delay.

Cheers

Simon