Subject: Re: [RFC] [patch 5/6] [Network namespace] ipv4 isolation

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:27:52 -0700

James Morris wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
>>When an outgoing packet has the loopback destination addres, the
>>skbuff is filled with the network namespace. So the loopback packets
>>never go outside the namespace. This approach facilitate the migration
>>of loopback because identification is done by network namespace and
>>not by address. The loopback has been benchmarked by tbench and the
>>overhead is roughly 1.5 %
> 
> 
> I think you'll need to make it so this code has zero impact when not 
> configured.

Indeed, and over stuff other than loopback too.  I'll not so humbly 
suggest :)  netperf TCP_STREAM and TCP_RR figures _with_ CPU 
utilization/service demand measures.

rick jones