Subject: Re: [PATCH 2.6.17-rc6] Remove Prism II support from Orinoco

From: Faidon Liambotis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:15:10 +0300

Hi,

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> The patch in question was never submitted to the orinoco mailing list.
> I believe any such changes should be discussed by people using the
> driver and participating in its development.  It's not some minor change
> or API update.
I'm sorry for not submitting/CCing this to the orinoco mailing list, I
should have.

> I'm ready to consider disabling some ID's conditionally, primarily for
> systems that cannot use udev.  But it's far from the top of my TODO
> list.  And I'm not sure it would actually help users of desktop
> distributions.
Well, that would be very nice, thanks!
But do you think that it will be enough? I mean, orinoco_{pci,plx,tdm}
exist only to support Prism2 chipsets.
HostAP a rather big and complete driver for Prism2/2.5/3.0 chipsets;
we're going to have another one based on the dscape stack too.
Do you think that there's a point on having the orinoco driver
supporting this chipset any more?
I don't mean to disrespect your work -- orinoco has served us for quite
a few years, but HostAP seems like a better alternative for these cards.

Please don't get offended by this -- I'm sure you've spent quite some
time on the particular code.

Regarding the disabling of IDs, I could prepare a patch for orinoco_cs
that would disable Prism2 support via a configuration option. Would that
be helpful/acceptable?

Best regards,
Faidon