Subject: Re: strict isolation of net interfaces

From: Daniel Lezcano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:23:16 +0200

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Cedric Le Goater ([email-masked]):
> 
>>we could work on virtualizing the net interfaces in the host, map them to
>>eth0 or something in the guest and let the guest handle upper network layers ?
>>
>>lo0 would just be exposed relying on skbuff tagging to discriminate traffic
>>between guests.
> 
> 
> This seems to me the preferable way.  We create a full virtual net
> device for each new container, and fully virtualize the device
> namespace.

I have a few questions about all the network isolation stuff:

   * What level of isolation is wanted for the network ? network devices 
? IPv4/IPv6 ? TCP/UDP ?

   * How is handled the incoming packets from the network ? I mean what 
will be mecanism to dispatch the packet to the right virtual device ?

   * How to handle the SO_BINDTODEVICE socket option ?

   * Has the virtual device a different MAC address ? How to manage it 
with the real MAC address on the system ? How to manage ARP, ICMP, 
multicasting and IP ?

It seems for me, IMHO that will require a lot of translation and 
browsing table. It will probably add a very significant overhead.

    * How to handle NFS access mounted outside of the container ?

    * How to handle ICMP_REDIRECT ?

Regards