Subject: Question on device events and unregister_netdev.

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:27:25 -0700

Hello!

I'm working on stacking some virtual interfaces, and ran into a problem with
locking.

Basically, I have an ethernet-like device, and on top of that I am putting
802.1Q vlans..and on top of that, some other vlan (macvlan).

In the event notifier for the vlan, I attempt to delete all vlans who's
under-lying device is going away.  I do the same for the macvlan.

Currently, I am setting a deadlock warning because the macvlan code
is calling unregister_netdev, but the 'rmmod' method already has
a lock in there due to having earlier called unregister_netdev on the
.1q vlan.

So, the question is:  Should I be calling unregister_netdev from the notifier
callback?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com