Subject: Re: Netchannles: first stage has been completed. Further ideas.

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:14:39 -0700

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 02:21:57PM -0700, Ben Greear ([email-masked]) wrote:
> 
>>Out of curiosity, is it possible to have the single producer logic
>>if you have two+ ethernet interfaces handling frames for a single
>>TCP connection?  (I am assuming some sort of multi-path routing
>>logic...)
> 
> 
> I do not think it is possible with additional logic like what is
> implemented in softirqs, i.e. per cpu queues of data, which in turn will
> be converted into skbs one-by-one.

Couldn't you have two NICs being handled by two separate CPUs, with both
CPUs trying to write to the same socket queue?

The receive path works with RCU locking from what I understand, so
a protocol's receive function must be re-entrant.

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com