Subject: Re: Debugging kernel lockups during network activity

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:39:10 +0200

On 27-07-2006 20:19, Art Haas wrote:
> Hi.
> 
> I've got Fedora Rawhide running on a SMP PIII machine, and the latest
> kernels from Fedora have been locking up when I run 'yum update' to
> get the latest packages. I also experience lock-ups when I use
> Firefox to do some web browsing. Not all my network usage results in a
> lockup, however. I can usually do 'git pull' and update git itself or
> my copy of Linus' kernel tree without problems, as well as update my
> GCC repo with subversion and Mozilla with cvs. I realize that running
> Fedora Rawhide means when things break I can keep the pieces, so
> the lockups or other occasional issues are not unexpected.

I don't know the numbers of this kernels, but did you try 
linux-2.6.18-rc2.

It has some great patch to queue scheduler by Hubert Xu. I think 
it is some Gnu/miracle that it has been working (mostly) under 
heavy load without this patch.

But there are also other possibilities...

Jarek P.