Subject: eth2.100: received packet with own address as source address

From: David Coulson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:27:19 -0400

I have a machine running 2.6.18-rc3 with a bridge config that looks like
this:

cr1:~# brctl show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
vlan100         36b0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.100
                                                        eth2.100
vlan101         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.101
                                                        eth2.101
vlan102         5dc0.00e08163c33f       yes             eth3
vlan200         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.200
                                                        eth2.200
vlan201         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.201
                                                        eth2.201
vlan300         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.300
                                                        eth2.300
vlan301         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.301
                                                        eth2.301
vlan302         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.302
                                                        eth2.302
vlan303         5dc0.0007e90f40c1       yes             eth0.303
                                                        eth2.303

All bridges, except for vlan102, are running STP and appear to have
elected themselves the root bridge.

I see this on the console:

printk: 18 messages suppressed.
eth2.100: received packet with  own address as source address
printk: 20 messages suppressed.
eth2.200: received packet with  own address as source address

This repeats continuously, only indicating an issue on the two specific
ports mentioned above. This confuses me:

1) All VLANs (except for 102) are in an identical configuration
2) No other VLANs exhibit the same kernel message
3) I have another machine, running 2.6.18-rc2 with the same config and
no kernel message

Is this message specifically related to BPDU frames, or is it pertaining
to any Ethernet frame on the port?

Here is the STP config for one of the bridges. What's the next step to
troubleshoot this?

vlan200
 bridge id              5dc0.0007e90f40c1
 designated root        5dc0.0007e90f40c1
 root port                 0                    path cost                  0
 max age                  20.00                 bridge max age
  20.00
 hello time                2.00                 bridge hello time
   2.00
 forward delay             5.00                 bridge forward delay
   5.00
 ageing time             300.01
 hello timer               1.67                 tcn timer
   0.00
 topology change timer     0.00                 gc timer
   0.03
 flags

eth0.200 (1)
 port id                8001                    state
forwarding
 designated root        5dc0.0007e90f40c1       path cost                 19
 designated bridge      5dc0.0007e90f40c1       message age timer
   0.00
 designated port        8001                    forward delay timer
   0.00
 designated cost           0                    hold timer
   0.67
 flags

eth2.200 (2)
 port id                8002                    state
blocking
 designated root        5dc0.0007e90f40c1       path cost                  4
 designated bridge      5dc0.0007e90f40c1       message age timer
  19.67
 designated port        8001                    forward delay timer
   0.00
 designated cost           0                    hold timer
   0.00
 flags

David

- --
David J. Coulson
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.davidcoulson.net/