Subject: 3945 driver using d80211

From: Mohamed Abbas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:27:37 -0700

Hi
I am currently working on porting 3945 driver to use d80211. The porting 
is going well, thanks for the great stack. I ran into some problems and 
issues that I had to use some work around to have it functioning. I hope 
I can find the help to point me to right way of using the stack.

1- I needed to use sta_info_get function to do rate scaling for 3945, 
although this function is exported but it was missing from d80211.h, for 
work around I had to copy more header files to my driver's directory, It 
this plan to add this function to d80211.h ?

2- Scanning; in 3945 driver, we can not tune to other channels while we 
are connected, this will cause a firmware error. The firmware provides a 
scanning command we call so the firmware will take care of switching of 
the available channels and gather beacons and probe responses. The 
current d80211 the stack will call config callback to switch to 
different channel and send the probe requests. One of our engineers did 
come up with a patch to add one more callback function if provided the 
d80211 will call this function to allow the registered driver to perform 
the scanning functionalities. For work around I currently check inside 
config callback if the scanning flag set I will issues the scan command 
then ignore the next config callback.

3- I can not access beacon's info from current associated AP. 
information I need to callback into the firmware like timestamp and aid, 
work around I would parse incoming management frame and filter beacon 
from associated AP to get this info. This is a duplicate code that 
d80211 stack doing, maybe there is away to get these info that I don’t 
know of. Also it will be nice to have some callback function on 
association, disassociation.

4- I am been using the driver for sometime right now and it seems to be 
stable and liable although I am using SMP system. I hearted of some SMP 
issues in d80211 and I have the machine and time to help in this. Do you 
have any test script the cause this SMP problems? Or steps to reproduce it.

again thanks alot for the great work on d80211.

Thanks

Mohamed Abbas