Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH 2/9] deadlock prevention core

From: Daniel Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 22:47:18 -0700

David Miller wrote:
> From: Daniel Phillips <[email-masked]>
  >>Can you please characterize the conditions under which skb->dev changes
>>after the alloc?  Are there writings on this subtlety?
> 
> The packet scheduler and classifier can redirect packets to different
> devices, and can the netfilter layer.
> 
> The setting of skb->dev is wholly transient and you cannot rely upon
> it to be the same as when you set it on allocation.
>
> Even simple things like the bonding device change skb->dev on every
> receive.

Thankyou, this is easily fixed.

> I think you need to study the networking stack a little more before
> you continue to play in this delicate area :-)

The VM deadlock is also delicate.  Perhaps we can work together.

Regards,

Daniel